Osteoporosis Diet: Top Vegan Sources of Calcium to Maintain Strong Bones | Health

Osteoporosiss can make your bones so weak and fragile that a light fall is enough to break a bone or two. Fractures associated with osteoporosis most commonly occur in the hip, wrist, or spine. Maintaining a healthy weight, saying no to alcohol and tobacco, eating right and being active can all prevent this disease. A rich diet calcium, magnesium, Vitamin K and zinc can help maintain bone health. Besides, regular exercise is important to improve bone density. According to recent statistics from the International Osteoporosis Foundation, worldwide, 1 in 3 women over the age of 50 will be over 50 years old and 1 in 5 men will have a fracture due to osteoporosis in their lifetime. Symptoms of osteoporosis may not appear until a fracture has occurred. Risk factors include age, being a woman, family history, low body weight, smoking, and drinking too much alcohol. (Also read: Osteoporosis: Food for women over 30 against bone weakening)

“Osteoporosis continues to be a serious and widespread health problem. Bones are made up of calcium and store 99% of the calcium in the body while the remaining 1% is stored and used in the blood and muscles. If you don’t get calcium from your daily diet, your body will take calcium from your bones to maintain other functions that are important for immediate survival. is constantly being excreted in the urine. So if your diet doesn’t make up for what’s lost, your bones lose calcium over time, which puts you at risk for osteoporosis.” , nutritionist Lovneet Batra said in her recent Instagram post.

How much calcium should be consumed to prevent osteoporosis?

“Maintaining adequate calcium intake, at least 1,000 mg of calcium per day through food sources or supplements is considered a safe and effective strategy for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. However, Too much calcium can also cause problems like constipation”, gas and bloating. Excess calcium can also increase the risk of kidney stones. In rare cases, too much calcium can also cause calcium deposition in your blood. This is called hypercalcemia,” says Batra.

Plant-based sources of calcium

Batra says milk is often considered the sole source of calcium as 1 cup of milk provides 290 mg of calcium, but there are also plenty of plant-based sources that should be part of your vegan diet as they are all healthy. contains a lot of calcium. Several other nutrients are needed to maintain healthy bones.

1. Your body needs magnesium to maintain bone health, and not getting enough magnesium in your diet can increase your risk of osteoporosis.

2. Vitamin K is necessary for the function of proteins involved in the formation and maintenance of bones.

3. Zinc is needed for proper bone growth and maintenance, and it also promotes bone regeneration. Low zinc levels have been linked to postmenopausal osteoporosis.

Batra also opens up top vegan calcium sources:

1 cup green radish = 200 mg calcium

1 tablespoon sesame seeds = 146 mg calcium

1 cup of soybeans = 175 mg of calcium

1 cup broccoli = 120 mg calcium

1 cup okra = 120 mg calcium

It is important to take care of your calcium intake along with vitamin D as it is necessary to maintain strong bones, especially in older adults. It’s important to get enough calcium through diet or supplements, especially during childhood and adolescence when bones are still growing.

Stay tuned for more stories above Facebook & Twitter


News of max: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button